Sunday, July 5, 2015

Going Away Together

Next month, Jack, the kid, me, and some friends are spending 4 days at the coast. This was planned a while ago. Jack and I talked and thought we should go on a weekend trip, just the two of us, prior to a trip with the kid added to the mix. Then life got busy, Jack got sick, and we were running out of potential weekends. I looked up cute towns that we could spend a lazy weekend in, but then Jack had a weird list of requirements for the hotel so I handed control of this endeavor over to him.

I mentioned a few times that I didn't care anymore if we went somewhere, and suggested we just go to the movies instead. On Wednesday, Jack told me he'd booked a room and the trip was on, we'd leave Friday after work. I thanked him for planning it and asked what my half was. Jack told me $20. Bullshit.

Then later he told me that he'd been distracted when he booked the room and it was quite a bit more than he meant to spend. I told him I'd pay my half. He turned down my offer.

A few hours later he told me he was anxious about money and making sure I had a fun weekend. I told him that I always have fun with him and again offered to chip in on the hotel. He declined again.
At this point I'm a little irritated. I'm sorry he spent so much on the hotel and I don't want him to be worried about money. But I just snooped on the hotel's website and all the rooms that are left are $400+, which, Holy Shit. Now I can't pay half even if he'd let me. And frankly, he's the one with all the crazy ideas about how fancy the hotel had to be. I'd be fine at a Best Western.

***
I could write it all out, but basically we had a perfect weekend. We laughed a lot, talked a lot, shared a lot, cried a little. We snuggled and kissed and joked and never tired of each other. We hardly touched our phones, just totally unplugged and focused on each other. 

I told him "I love you" and he said "I love you" back. I'm the luckiest girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment