Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Trouble with Mothers

Besides counseling, which I'm already doing, can anyone recommend a resource or book on how to deal with batshit crazy parents?

I'm 28 damn years old and am beyond sick of my mom judging the hell out of me about my parenting, about my dating, about my finances, about my attire, etc.

She frustrated me the other day about the whole situation with my ex husband. Today she asked me to call her to catch up. I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt and go along to get along (which is almost always a mistake, in any scenario). She launches in with questions: am I still seeing Jack, how often, how much time is Kiddo spending around Jack, etc. (this was before the breakup obviously) The tone of her voice when I answer is such that I can tell she disapproves.

I try to ignore it and keep having a light conversation. Then she started listing people who I could ask to be Kiddo's godmother. I'm not opposed to getting the kid baptized. Its just not high on my to-do list. Whatever. I let this one pass too. Then she asks if I've started saving enough money for Kiddo's school tuition.

First of all he's 3. He won't even start pre-school for a year.
Second of all, I'm a grown ass woman who has written out a timeline of the things I need to do to get ready to send this kid to school.
Third of all, I think its rude as hell to ask about my finances. I have never asked you for money, so its really not your problem.

So I said, calm as could be, Mom sometimes you stress me out with these things, I feel really judged and its unwanted.
She freaked out and was like, "I guess I'll add that to the list of things we can't talk about."
"That's not what I said"
"Well it seems like you just don't want me to make you think about things you don't want to think about."

So I said I think I'd better go and got off the phone because I knew I would no longer be able to speak politely or respectfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment