Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year, New Me…Maybe

I suck at New Years Resolutions. But to be fair, I never take them very seriously. And it's usually just lose weight, but I'm in a committed relationship with carbs. I do want to do better. I read an article that if you want to make changes in your life, you need to do it before you turn 30 or its less likely to stick.

So I've been hitting the gym more frequently. Which isn't too hard because anytime I make it to the gym is better than the last year or so of my life when I went to the gym precisely zero times.  I joined a gym again and I've been dragging my ass in 3 times a week on my non-kiddo weeks. I mostly just run on the treadmill and spend the time calculating how many slices of pizza I'm earning by being at the gym. I avoid the weights section because its full of gigantic muscley  guys and I'm afraid to look like an idiot in front of them.

My pizza-meditation runs were lasting about 2 miles but since I've developed insomnia in the last few months, I've kicked the runs up to 4 miles, trying to exhaust myself so I'll sleep. 4 miles is too long to just contemplate pizza, so I also make a game of people watching. Did you know there is a whole contingent of old men who work out in jeans? Its the craziest thing. There are also a few senior couples who come in and will wait until they can get machines next to each other. So dang cute.

I also lost a ton of weight in my phone. I went through and deleted all the superfluous guy numbers. The guys who couldn't sustain a conversation so I never met up with them, the guys I hooked up with but it never went anywhere, the guys I might text when I'm drunk at 2AM on a Saturday. Gone.

The gym also serves to keep me distracted. For the past few months, on my non-kid weeks, I have plans every night. Either a date with a guy or with girlfriends. I wasn't leaving time to run errands and take care of the house or me. I'd been doing such a great job distracting myself from the loneliness of missing the kid, that I'd burnt myself out. So for the next few months, I'm cutting back. Or I'll try to. One or two outings a week. The rest of the time? Gym, chores, shower, relax.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment