Saturday, December 6, 2014

So Nice of You to Write

In the last week or so I've had an increase in messages on OkCupid about the same two themes which are:

  1. You are the perfect girl, except you have a kid. And
  2. You are the perfect girl, but you swear too much.
To messages like these, I would like to offer a hearty FUCK YOU.

Why even write to someone to tell them that they seem great except for some deal breaking "flaw"? I don't write to random men and say, "You are so damn hot, too bad you seem unintelligent." or "You seem sweet and nice, too bad about your fucked up teeth." 

Every time I get one of these, it bums me out for a minute. My internal monologue, who is an anxious little bitch, says "No one will ever want a single mom. You're going to die alone and no one will notice you're dead and your cats will eat your face."  Worst case scenarios escalate pretty quickly in my head. 

But then, the rest of my sexy, sexy brain says, "Nah, fuck that." I'm excellent. I have a good support system of family and friends. I have the coolest kid. My cats probably won't eat my face.  

And whatever else happens, I have my kid. He's ridiculously smart and sweet. He's turning into such a cool little person. I love his contagious enthusiasm for trains and trucks, the tender care he uses to tuck our cats and his stuffed animals into bed. I always have to pick up the tab when we go out, but he's my favorite date. I'm addicted to his sticky kisses. I love the adventures and jokes we share. 

So if you'll excuse me, I'm going to ignore all the bullshit men on the internet and go shop for some legos for my favorite guy for Christmas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment