Sunday, April 5, 2015

This Could Be Something

I have a co-worker, Trish who I've become friends with. She's great and we talk daily about anything. Our personalities just click and I think she's awesome. For several months, at least since before December, Trish has been talking up this single friend of hers, Jack.

I stalked Jack's Facebook page. He is handsome, I'll admit. But I was still in the middle of my shit with Tom, and Jack had a long distance relationship that was falling apart. I was interested, but the timing felt wrong. In December, Trish had a birthday party that Jack and I attended. It was my first time meeting him instead of just hearing Trish talk him up to me. I think Trish must have talked me up to him too because it just felt forced. I felt like I was expected to talk to Jack and hit it off. I over thought everything and was shy.

Jack and I ended up talking for a total of 10 minutes about a Julie Andrews movie. I have no recollection of how that came to be the topic. I have no strong feelings about that particular movie. I was late for another party, so I cut our weird conversation short and left.

I was sure I'd blown it. Trish said Jack thought I was cute. But a few weeks later, after the Tom situation imploded and then resolved, I thought I was serious about Patrick. Trish said Jack had a new girlfriend too. Oh well, wasn't meant to be I figured.

After I decided that I couldn't stand Patrick or his needle dick, I was back on the hunt. Trish mentioned Jack was single again. I had in my head that Jack was a good guy, that there might be something there, but I wanted to get this one right. So I waited. I was still working on myself and knew I wasn't relationship ready yet.

Then one morning on the bus, idly swiping through Tinder, Jack's picture popped up. Swipe right!
Later that day, Jack popped up as one of my OKCupid matches. I thoroughly scoped his profile. Then later noticed that he had viewed mine. Finally, I summoned the courage to message him. Turns out, we both thought we blew our chance with each other because of the awkward Julie Andrews chat.

So after a bit of chatting, and Trish acting as a go-between, a barbeque was arranged for the upcoming weekend. And the barbeque is a story for another day....

1 comment:

  1. The first time I met my husband, he told me he hated my name and insisted on calling me by my middle name. And then halfway through the movie (we'd gone to see with a group of mutual friends) he got up and switched seats with someone. Apparently he was so embarrassed about what he'd said he panicked and fled the scene of the crime. I assumed he hated me for reasons unknown, and we didn't speak again for two years. And then two years after THAT meeting we got married.

    ReplyDelete