Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Under Construction

I'm working on building a life I love while I'm single. I'm not just sitting around waiting for "him," whoever he might be. Some of the areas I'm focusing on:

  • Budget. I kept track of every cent I received and spent in the month of January. I kept a record of it and found that I ended the month with -$549.02. Ouch. Luckily, that's mostly due to a lot of non-recurring expenses. $500ish dollars on vet bills for the cats (check ups and vaccinations), the yearly fee on my credit card, ordering more checks, and supplies for the kid's birthday party. 
    • So now its a game with myself to see how much I can save each month. I'm extremely lucky in that I have no debt. But I pay my car insurance twice a year, so I need to plan ahead for that. It always manages to sneak up on me. I need to make some sort of effort to save for retirement so I don't end up eating cat food when I'm a senior. And I want to go on vacation which is expensive as hell (at least, it is the way I do it).
  • DIY. My house is new construction and pretty much furnished and decorated the way I want it to be. DIY more in the sense of I need to stop acting like a helpless little girl. For as long as I can remember, I've always known that if something was too hard or I just didn't feel like doing it, I could get a man to do it. Ex. Driver's Ed homework. 
    • My fence needs to be stained. So once the weather is good, I'm going to get out there and do it myself. I'm not sure exactly what other projects this will extend to, but I've got to stop acting like an empty-headed bimbo and take care of my own shit. 
  • Exercise. Its not about getting to a certain number, though I have a goal weight in mind. Its about getting healthier, getting toned, not eating so much crap food. If I'm going to want a man who is attractive and in decent shape, I have to hold myself to that standard as well. 
    • I belong to a gym already but only go sporadically. Now that my kid-free weeks aren't booked with back-to-back dates, the plan is to get to the gym 3 times a week on non-kid weeks. And at least once a week with the kid. the gym has childcare but sometimes he freaks out and they have me take him out.
  • Friends. I have a handful of girlfriends and then a bunch more "girl acquaintances" but usually my best friend is my partner. And that's fine but I don't have a partner and am not currently seeking one. 
    • In an effort to work on my friendships, my goal is to have one "friend date" a week. I don't care what I do, or which friend I do it with, but I need to make more of an effort to be more social. To have a life outside of men.  

No comments:

Post a Comment