Saturday, June 27, 2015

Day 5 in DC

I went to the White House! Jack has a friend, Tim, who works in the White House and got me in for a tour. What I didn't realize was that Tim would be giving me my tour. Time met me with a handshake out front of the visitor's entrance and helped me navigate through all the security check points (ID check, metal detector, and being sniffed by a dog).

I couldn't take pictures but it was a great experience. I'm always irritated on these tours (Alcatraz, Versailles, etc) that you only get to see 10-15% of the building. I so badly want to sneak away and explore more. But at the White House there was a man with a very big gun guarding a hallway where visitors were not welcome.  So no sneaking on this tour.

Also! As Tim was showing me Jackie Kennedy's garden, we saw the Obama family's dogs Bo and Sunny out playing in the yard. They were sticking right by the side of the head groundskeeper who has worked at the White House since LBJ's administration. So cool!

After the tour, which ended all too soon, Tim walked me to the gate and we parted with a hug. He was very nice and I greatly appreciated his generosity with his time. After I left, Tim sent a message to Jack, which Jack forwarded to me.

All the adventures I'd been having caught up to me and I went back to the house to take a nap. I know there are a million things I wanted to see and experience but I was on vacation and taking a nap in the middle of the day, in the sun, always feels like a luxury to me.

After a refreshing nap, I got up and went back to my taco place around the corner. I got the tacos to go and posted up in my room to stuff my face and wait. I had signed up to take the Jeopardy contestant test and I slept through it the day before.

I took the test. I think I did ok? Not too sure how it went but I gave it a shot, just like I will every year until I make it onto the show.

Then I watched Louis C.K.'s show Louie until I fell asleep. I, now, feel like I wasted half of that day, but my feet were tired from walking and I was ready to be home with familiar sites and faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment