Monday, June 22, 2015

Bribery

I make no claim that I am a perfect mom, or even an above average mom. I work, I'm tired, I'm human. But my kid is alive, smart, and well loved. He is also not potty trained, despite turning 3 a few months ago. He's shown little interest in the matter and I didn't want to push him and make it a bad experience. But he's stubborn. He will occasionally wake up from a nap, or a full night's sleep, with a dry diaper, so I know he's physically capable of being potty trained.

Over Memorial Day weekend, I decided I was done. So, so, so done with diapers. I set up a system of bribes and went over it with the kid until it was (hopefully) stuck in his distractible little head.
If he tried to pee in the potty, he would get one chocolate chip.
If he actually went pee in the potty, he would get a big prize.

I asked him what he thought the prize was because I wanted to make sure it was 1) something he wanted and 2) something I could deliver on.

"Is the prize a lot of chocolate?" he asked, with a radiant smile.
Why yes, yes it is, Kiddo.

I texted the nanny and the Dad to advise them of the bribery system. The next day, a work day, when the nanny came to get the Kid, I gave her a huge Hershey's bar that would be the big prize.

By 10 AM, she texted me a picture. The kid was wearing underwear, using the potty like a champ, and so proud of himself. And full of sugar. Oh well, sacrifice to the cause.

The next day was more of the same. This stubborn little shit of mine was fully capable of being potty trained, he just didn't see the need. He was too busy playing and didn't mind diaper changes. But now with the promise of chocolate, properly motivated, he changed course.

I don't know the point of this really. I'm proud that he's getting the hang of it. Am I proud of this method?  Not really. But for now, its working.

Update: after the first week, the prize became stickers instead of chocolate. Progress is slow but steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment