Friday, October 23, 2015

The Kid

Even when I pick the kid up early from school,
Even when I take him for ice cream (for being brave at the doctor's office and getting 3 shots)
Even when I play pirates for hours and fix broken trucks and tanks
Even when I make his favorite dinner
He still asks for daddy at bedtime.

And we call his dad. And his phone is off so we leave a message. I read bedtime stories, I brush teeth, I sing him a song, I tuck him in.

The first words he says when he wakes up, "I miss daddy." And we call daddy on the way to school every morning.

I try not to take it personally. It's just a phase, I hope. But it hurts. I tell the kid it's ok to love mommy and daddy. I tell him that I miss him when I'm at work and when he's with daddy.

I ask him what's different at Daddy's house. He tells me there is a racetrack at Daddy's. And on Wednesday, he spent a few hours with Daddy and got 3 new board games. I can't buy new toys as often. Christmas is in two months and I spent my disposable income on the Kid's basketball registration fee and tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters.

I hope that the Kid loves me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment