Thursday, April 9, 2015

BBQ at Jack's

So as I mentioned, Trish had spent months trying to get Jack and I in the same room because she thought we'd be a cute couple. A barbeque at Jack's apartment was thrown together. Trish, her husband and her puppy would attend, as well as another couple of their friends. And Jack, and me, and my son. Of course, 99% of the time my son and my dating do not overlap. Since this was a barbeque with other people present, and not really a date, I decided to bend the rules a bit.

The kid and I went to the barbeque. Prior to the barbeque, Jack sent me a video showing a few spots I could park in when I arrived. I thought that was very thoughtful and sweet. When I pulled up to his house, before I could even gather up my bags and the kid, there was Jack, ready to help me carry in the desert I (actually, my mom) had baked. I felt nervous and on edge the whole time, not sure what to do or say around Jack. Kiddo had a great time playing with the puppy and some toys we brought from home.

Jack tried to engage me in conversation a few times but I was so nervous that I couldn't  hold up my end of the conversation. Plus, I was hyper-aware that besides my kid, everyone else at the barbeque knew that this was a set up. It felt like a lot of pressure!

We had fun, we ate, we played Cards Against Humanity and it ended up being a decent time. Eventually, it was late, we all had work the next day and my kid asked to go home. So we said goodbye to our friends, packed up the kid's toys, and prepared to leave. My hands were full so Jack offered to carry some of it to the car. I buckled the kid into his carseat and put all my junk into the car.

"We should hang out some time without my entourage," I said gesturing towards my car with the kid. Jack agreed and said he'd call me this week. I went to hug him goodbye and he pulled me in for a quick peck of a kiss on the lips.

I'm very excited and hopeful about this one. He is well aware of the whole "kid situation" and still wanted to have me over for the BBQ. He made an effort to talk to the kid and tried to engage him in playing. And he's clearly interested in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment